Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sad Face :(

9-1-1 Emergency Vet Visit….
Of course Kyle happened to be in Dallas early this week for a company meeting, leaving me here alone to take Dexter to his first (and hopefully only) emergency vet visit.  Don’t panic…I’ll explain (plus I did enough “panicking” for everyone…I promise).
On Sunday I noticed that Dexter was sorta sluggish and didn't finish his food - which is definitely not normal with Dexter.  Then Monday morning he ate maybe 3 bites of food.  I was worried.  After school I took him out for a walk and noticed a “lump” on his back, right hind leg.  As we walked I just kept starring at it and thinking, "No, it can’t be…I’m just imagining things since he hasn’t been eating well...”  But as we walked in the backdoor, I was convinced it wasn’t supposed to be there.  His left leg didnt have a similar knot or muscle..it was definitely a lump.
I inspected it.  The lump was solid and moved slightly, but it didn’t seem to be painful. About the size of 4 quarters if you stacked ‘em.  Then I remembered that’s where Kyle said Dexter had gotten his rabies vaccination the Monday before.  I began to panic!  I grabbed my computer and started searching everything…rabies vaccination side-effects, adverse drug reactions, vaccine-related sarcomas…After about 3 minutes and the tumor finding, I called the vet!  We were told to come in at 7:30 that day, and since you typically have to wait about a week to get an opening at this place, I became even more nervous.  The next 2 hours were the longest of my life.  Without Kyle there I had no one there to reassure me, “He’s going to be fine", “It’s probably no big deal…I’m sure we’re pushing the panic button over nothing”..Which of course left me with 2 hours to come up with every worst case scenario possible.  Ugghhhhh!!!!
We spent about an hour with the vet…Dexter had his temperature taken, weighed in at 28.3 lbs, and the lump measured over an inch.  And…let me just say, our vet didn’t fill the role of the reassuring…"he’s going to be just fine” veternarian that I wanted him to be.  Honestly, I would have hugged him if he told be I was over-reacting.  So…Dexter started a medication Monday and if the lump doesn’t go down by Saturday…the lil’ fellow is going to have to have surgery to have it removed.  Keep your fingers crossed.  Pretty please!!

Exhibit A:  this is the picture I sent Kyle…”see, it’s really a lump”.  
Photobucket

No comments :

Post a Comment