Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dry Capital of the World

Every state and really every county seems to have different regulations on alcohol sales. There are restrictions of different days, different hours, and you sometimes stumble upon the "dry county" where the sale of alcohol is not allowed. In all honesty, I have never really considered or understood why counties would prohibit the sale of alcohol, just regarded the law as a “lose-lose” situation for the citizens and the economy.
Kyle and I live in Westerville (suburb of Columbus) – which I found out today is known as the “Dry Capitol of the World”. Lame.com, huh? We just moved here in 2009, so I am unfamiliar with the history of the town and have never been scolded when trying to purchase the occasional adult beverage. How was I supposed to know that Westerville was where prohibition started?

Westerville History Lesson (Jamie’s Quick Review):
  • 1859 - Sale of alcohol was first made illegal in Westerville.
  • Burgeoning conflict that boiled into the "Westerville Whiskey Wars".
  • Westerville's reputation for temperance grew and grew (probably had something to do with the fanatics blowing up saloons)
  • The Anti-Saloon League moved its national headquarters from Washington, D.C. to Westerville.
  • Prohibition: 1920 to 1933
  • Prohibition ended, but Westerville remained dry for most of the twentieth century.
  • 1995 –small plot of land annexed as “non-dry”.
  • Lucky for us, in 2006… (Yep, just 4 years ago) voters approved alcohol sales in the town.
After living here for about a year, I find it ironic to think that this small, serene town could be the root of such a ruckus!!  It is even more bizzare to think that 4 years ago you wouldn't have been able to buy the beer, wine, or liquor you find at every street corner in Westerville today:  CVS, Walgreens, and the public library (just kidding about the library).  I guess they do have a lot of years to make up for :)

No comments :

Post a Comment