Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Arnold Classic

This past weekend The Arnold Classic was held here in Columbus. It is a bodybuilding competition named after Arnold Schwarzenegger and is considered the most lucrative competition in bodybuilding, with some huge (somewhat ridiculous) prizes. The one that caught my eye...First prize consists of $130,000 check and a Hummer. Sorry to disappoint, but I didn't win! I guess I need to kick my P90X regimen up a notch :)

Our good friends, Nicole and Jeff, had family visiting this past weekend, and on Saturday night we ventured out with them…Our objective: To eat at Thurman’s CafĂ©. You see, during the Arnold Classic tons of people flock to Thurman’s to eat the Thurmanator (a hamburger with a half a pound of ham and two half pound patties on it). The burger was created for and named after Arnold himself. For any of you who watch the Travel Channel, the Thurmanator was the centerpiece of the Man vs. Food episode filmed in Columbus.

Certain to not disappoint, we waited nearly three hours to be seated. GEEEZ! We even had to spend some of the wait time outside, just too much muscle to be packed into the tiny establishment. The time flew by though, with some scrumptious brews and enchanting song selections (mainly by Nicole and me). Once seated, we placed our order (since we had had some time to think about it) and Matt decided he was going to conquer the Thurmanator. This was the first time at Thurman’s that someone besides Kyle accepted the Thurmanator challenge. Since I didn’t have a blog until recently, I feel I must give credit where credit is due. Kyle has ordered and eaten that monstrosity of a hamburger not once, but twice! Just looking at it is enough to clog my arteries, but they say it is delicious!
Kyle's Thurmanator
Regular Thurman burger (right) and Thrumanator (left)

While waiting for our order, Kyle and I (really me, his bubble-letters could use a little practice) chees-ily wrote our names across a dollar bill and taped it up next to a Wonderland Street sign. Nicole and I even autographed the booth we were sitting in, and I’m pleased to say that, Matt was able to make a “happy plate” and triumph the Thurmanator (minus the mushrooms).
Perhaps it’s because for seven years I was spoiled with the uniqueness that is Austin, Texas....and often abandon the normal, preferred, scenes….but I am a huge fan of Thurman’s. The atmosphere it offers is one-of-a-kind (here in Columbus) and I absolutely adore the fact that although their wait time is often measured in hours, they won’t expand from their original 13 tables. I love the random memorabilia camouflaging the walls, the annual donation of scribbled dollar bills to breast cancer research, and that you can graffiti your heart out while feasting there. Thurman’s sets the stage for good conversation, lots of laughter, and a feeling of small-town hospitality, and I always leave with smile on my face and a full stomach…and this time was no exception!

No comments :

Post a Comment