This past weekend Kyle and I played host to our greatest pals in Ohio…Jeff and Nicole. They made the trip to Earl Avenue on Saturday afternoon. After spending some time catching up on the front porch swing and a tour of the house, we headed to The Pufferbelly for its annual clambake. The Pufferbelly is a renovated 1908 firehouse and has a load of historic charm and character. Since I’ve only heard of “clambakes” in the movies I will admit I was a tad skeptical, but I must give credit where credit is due…it was scrumptious!! After finishing dinner, we headed to Mapleside Farms for the Johnny Appleseed Festival, where we participated in the orchard’s season-first ‘Bag you own Apples’. During the apple-picking festivities, Nicole and I wandered aimlessly through rows and rows of trees that had had been picked clean. As we were about to give-up, Nicole found the apple jackpot, and we plucked over 40 Melrose apples from its branches. We then ended the night listening to a Journey cover band and enjoying a few cold brews on the huge hill overlooking the orchard and corn maze. As we were leaving we stopped in the Apple House and Bakery and picked up a buckeye caramel apple. It was the most delicious caramel-peanut butter-chocolate covered apple on a stick I’ve ever had.
Sunday started with us devouring breakfast at Mike’s Place before we headed out on a “Jamie-planned” adventure. Many of you probably haven’t heard about the outing I planned to the Coshocton Hot Air Balloon Festival. I didn’t have a blog then…or maybe its just one of those stories I thought best to keep to myself. Anyway, six of us drove over two hours to see hot air balloons take off; only we were a day late. We didn’t even get to see a hot air balloon at all.... So now when I plan anything I get questioned, Are you sure its today? Are you sure its here?
Sunday was no exception to the normal questions, especially when it did end up being more of a hunt than I expected, but we finally found both – “The Standing Rock” and “The Most Climbed Tree”. We of course (mainly Nicole and I) attempted to climb the tree that Ripley’s Believe it or Not claims as being “the most climbed” with little success. We had to try - its being retired next year. After giving up on ever reaching the bottom branch at thirty-five feet, we opted for a relaxing mani-pedi, the guys watched some football, and we enjoyed a back porch dinner-from-the-grill before calling it a weekend.
The barren apple trees
Apple Jackpot
Candy apples = YUM!
Breakfast @ Mike's Place..yes that is a knife in a breakfast sandwich..
Wildflowers found during a "detour" on our Sunday adventure.
Standing Rock
The Most Climbed Tree









No comments :
Post a Comment